Storycatchers Presents: The First Time
We had so much fun, we're doing it again!
Join us for a live storytelling event with an open mic where members of the community can join storytellers in sharing (mostly) true stories, surrounding this month’s theme: The First Time. You DO NOT need to tell a story to join in the fun! After all, a story isn’t a story at all without someone to tell it to.
This event is open to the public, all ages are welcome to both listen and are encouraged to be a storyteller (with an understanding that since not all stories are heard before hand, content cannot be guaranteed appropriate for all). Bring your own food and drinks to accompany the tales and to sink into the night.
Tips For Tellers:
• You DO NOT need to be a professional storyteller, or ever have told a story in public before. We welcome all voices.
• There will be a request for tellers on the FB event listing a week or two before the event. We will give priority to those who sign up beforehand (with first-time Storycatchers tellers getting first rights) and will leave a few slots for day of the event for draw a name from a hat of interested storytellers.
• Stories should be around 5 mins. in length (your hosts will be watching the time and let you know when you’re reaching your mark). It goes quicker than you think!
• Stories can be in all formats: Memorized, top-of-your-head, written – you just need to be willing to share from your experience.
• Stories should be (mostly) true and circle this month’s theme loosely. Don’t let the theme constrict you. This can be a starting point or central focus, it’s up to you.
• If you know you are interested in telling a story, please contact the event coordinator, Tara Pohlkotte (details below), or comment on this event so we can reserve your slot. We will save a limited amount of slots for storytellers to sign up the day of the event.
Tips For Listeners:
• Be prepared for a treat! Stories have a way to surprise you, break your heart and mend you all in one tale. We encourage you to engage with the story and the teller.
• Bring some refreshments if you so wish!
• We’ll build in a few breaks as well to get up and move around. That said, stay as little or long as you can.
The purpose of Storycatchers is to create community through shared story space, believing that we all have stories to tell. Join us for monthly live storytelling events where members of the community share mostly true tales based off that month’s theme- stop in and record your story at Storycatchers session studios- or watch for workshops and sessions to explore your own story through writing.
Any questions regarding Storycatchers, or this event specifically – please contact Tara Pohlkotte at email@example.com.